Living in Washington DC means being surrounded by presidential history. So to celebrate President’s Day, IGDC and Destination DC (@visitwashingtondc) simply had to hold our next neighborhood walk on the National Mall and in the midst of our American legends.
Planning an outside event in February is always a wild card but the weather could not have been more amazing–70 degrees and breezy. We began at the Reflecting Pool and took in the Washington Monument and Lincoln Memorial. Once we faced the large crowds there, we headed over to the John F. Kennedy Center. Attendees enjoyed the sun, fun and some presidential trivia. Did you know:
- George Washington had two inaugurations and had to borrow money to attend them.
- John Quincy Adams used to skinny dip in the Potomac River
- Abraham Lincoln was a licensed bartender and co-owned a tavern before he went to law school.
- John F. Kennedy donated his congressional and presidential salaries to charity.
- Andrew Johnson was a tailor before becoming president and would only wear the suits he made himself.
Thank you to our terrific partners, @visitwashingtondc and @rotimodernmed for helping make the day such a success. And big thanks to @moment for sponsoring our Make Your Moment photo contest. Our winner will be announced on Monday evening, so get those photos posted!
Here are some of our favorite photos from the day. To see more check #myIGDCcool, #igdc and #mydccool.